Military Times Edge: Get A Degree

Military Times EDGE is the only publication dedicated to showing soldiers, sailors, airmen, Marines and Coast Guardsmen the practical and positive actions that can make their lives and careers better — both in the military and beyond. Whether your goal is to improve your hiring chances with civilian employers, leverage your skills for military advancement, make more money, learn from the successes of your peers, or earn a college degree or technical certification, Military Times EDGE will help you prepare yourself to be successful in your next assignment or your next career.

Veterans Educational Benefits

Official GI Bill Website

Provides information on the Post-9/11 GI Bill, Montgomery GI Bill and other programs, as well as resources for choosing schools, applying for scholarships, and obtaining educational benefits.
The Post- 9/11 GI Bill is an education benefit program for individuals who served on active duty after September 10, 2001.

Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty* after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty or were honorably discharged from active duty for a service-connected disability after serving 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.
Note: Children of a member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 2001, may be eligible for Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits under the Marine Gunnery John David Fry Scholarship Program.

What Will I Receive?
You may receive a percentage of the following payments (see chart).

  • A Tuition and Fee payment that is paid to your school on your behalf
  • A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA)** that is equal to:
    • the basic allowance for housing (BAH) payable for the zip code of your school to a military E-5 with dependents for students pursuing resident
    • training one-half the BAH national average for students training solely by distance learning
    • the national average BAH for students pursuing training at foreign schools

    Includes active service as a National Guard member under title 32 for the purpose of organizing, administering, recruiting, instructing, or training and active service under section 502(1) of title 32 for the purpose of responding to a national emergency.
    **The MHA is not payable to individuals on active duty or those enrolled at half time or less.

  • A Books and Supplies Stipend of up to $1000 per year

Percentage of Maximum Benefit Payable According to Service:

At least 36 months 100%
At least 30 continuous days and discharged due to service-connected disability 100%
At least 30 months < 36 months 90%
At least 24 months < 30 months 80%
At least 18 months < 24 months 70%
At least 12 months < 18 months 60%
At least 6 months < 12 months 50%
At least 90 days < 6 months 40%

How many months of assistance can I receive and how long am I eligible?
Generally, you may receive up to 36 months of entitlement under the Post-9/11 GI Bill. You will be eligible for benefits for 15 years from your last period of active duty of at least 90 consecutive days.

What kind of training can I take?
You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill at colleges, universities, trade schools, and for on-the-job training, apprenticeships, and flight schools. To see what programs are currently approved for VA benefits, go to our website, You can use the Post-9/11 GI Bill for tutorial assistance, licensing (attorney license, cosmetology license, etc.) and certification tests (SAT, LSAT, etc.)
Note: If the program you are interested in isn’t on our website, contact your State Approving Agency (list available on to see if it can be approved.

Can I transfer my entitlement to my dependents?
You must be a member of the uniformed services to transfer your unused benefits to your spouse or dependent(s). Generally, you must agree to serve four more years when transferring benefits.

Resources for Education Benefits

Yellow Ribbon Education Enhancement Program

The Yellow Ribbon program is designed to help students avoid up to 100 percent of their out-of-pocket tuition and fees associated with education programs that may exceed the Post 9/11 GI Bill tuition benefit.

VA Work Study Program

If you’re a full-time or 3/4-time student in a college degree, vocational, or professional program, you can “earn while you learn” with a VA work-study allowance.

VA Tutorial Assistance Program

Tutorial assistance helps the student pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student’s regular education benefit. Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject making tutoring necessary.


Federal Student Aid

Federal Student Aid, a part of the U.S. Department of Education, is the largest provider of student financial aid in the nation. At the office of Federal Student Aid, our 1,200 employees help make college education possible for every dedicated mind by providing more than $150 billion in federal grants, loans, and work-study funds each year to more than 15 million students paying for college or career school. We are proud to sponsor millions of American minds pursuing their educational dreams.

Pat Tillman Scholarship Initiative

The Pat Tillman foundation helps remove financial barriers to completing a degree or certification program of choice. The scholarships cover direct study-related expenses such as tuition and fees, as well as other needs, including housing and child care. The application opens annually each spring and a new class of Tillman Military Scholars is announced each June.

Hope for the Warriors Spouse/Caregiver Scholarship

The Hope for the Warriors Spouse/Caregiver Scholarship is awarded each year to spouses and caregivers of U.S. military service members who were injured or killed while in the line of duty following 9/11. Scholarships of $5,000 are awarded yearly for payment of tuition, books and supplies and may be reapplied for up to four years for a maximum of $20,000. Applicants must have applied to and/or are currently enrolled in an accredited college or trade school for the current school year.

Academic Success and Student Services

Veterans Upward Bound Program

The Veterans Upward Bound Program (VUB) empowers veterans who want to pursue a college education. The Program helps veterans smoothly transition into college-level courses and successfully navigate the enrollment process. Veterans can take advantage of FREE college prep classes in Computer Science, English, Math, Typing, Spanish and Science. VUB is funded by the US Department.


Need to know how to study math? Write a chemistry lab report? Or how to pass a psychology final? All the study strategies and writing techniques are organized here by subject matter.

Student Veterans with Disabilities

San Diego Continuing Education – Acquired Brain Injury Program at North City

The ABI Program provides students with the tools needed to succeed in important areas of daily life including interpersonal relationships, work, school and community.
Focus is on:

  • Rebuilding a “sense of self”
  • Integrating strengths and limitations
  • Transitions to volunteer placements, work re-entry programs, school and more independent living situations

Social Support & Advocacy

Student Veterans of America

SVA is a 501(c)(3) coalition of student veterans groups on college campuses across the globe. These member chapters are the “boots on the ground” that help veterans reintegrate into campus life and succeed academically. Each chapter must be an officially recognized student group by their university or college and provide a peer-to-peer network for veterans who are attending the school. Additionally, chapters often coordinate campus activities, provide pre-professional networking, and generally provide a touchstone for student veterans in higher education.

University of San Diego School of Law – Veterans Legal Clinic
5998 Alcala Park, BA 305
San Diego, CA 92110-2492
(619) 260-7470

Represents veterans in disputes with predatory lenders and for-profit educational institutions over the use of GI Bill funds and related loans. Free legal services range from advice to identification of potential claims to representation in arbitration and others forms of dispute resolution.